January 19 is National Popcorn Day. Time to celebrate one of the most delicious (and sneakily healthy) snacks ever invented!
Did someone say National Popcorn Day? That’s right—January 19 gives us an excuse to celebrate one of the most delicious snacks ever invented.
Fortunately for those trying to eat well in the New Year, popcorn is also healthy, satiating, and high in antioxidants. On this Meatless Monday, skip the butter and sketchy flavourings in microwavable popcorn, and make your own on the stovetop.
How to make perfect stovetop popcorn
- Add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil (coconut, peanut, avocado, or grapeseed are all great) and 1/2 cup (125 mL) organic kernels to stainless steel pot.
- Cover pot, leaving a slight space so that steam can escape.
- On stovetop, heat oil and kernels over medium heat until popping has almost stopped, about 5 minutes. Shake the pot occasionally to prevent burning of the kernels.
- Add seasonings of choice. See below for some of our favourites!
1. Popcorn Trail Mix
This popcorn-based trail mix is a filling snack to bring to work, on a hike, or wherever else your day takes you. Pecans, dried fruit, and coconut ensure that it’s not just delicious, but also substantial.
2. Chocolate-Covered Popcorn Cups
Now here’s a recipe that deserves the starring role on movie night. Made in muffin tins, these chocolate popcorn cups with pistachios and a sprinkle of sea salt offer built-in portion control.
3. Popcorn Almond Bars
Granola bars with a twist! These creative popcorn bars boast oats, almonds, raisins, and a range of spices to perk you up.
4. Sticky Maple Date Popcorn
Think of this sweet treat as healthy caramel popcorn. Dates, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract provide a nutritious replacement for refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup.
5. “Cheesy” Apple and Herb Popcorn
For a savoury snack, try this gourmet, vegan popcorn flavoured with rosemary and cheesy-tasting nutritional yeast. As a bonus, some varieties of nutritional yeast may be fortified with vitamin B12—a nutrient that’s often lacking in vegan and vegetarian diets.
6. Lemony Kale Popcorn
Can’t decide between kale chips and popcorn as your snack du jour? Go for both! Powdered kale brings an earthy flavour to this guilt-free treat.
7. Dark Chocolate Popcorn
And last but not least … this recipe toes the line between sweet, salty, and spicy, creating what might be the best chocolate-covered popcorn.