There are plenty of nutritious meals that can be cooked with some common pantry items. Try them out during this busy time of year.
With gifts to wrap, parties to attend, and menus to plan, it’s often difficult to find the time to prepare a decent meal let alone make it to the grocery store. On top of that, unpredictable weather and snowstorms can leave us stranded in our homes, with only pantry staples and a few unidentified freezer goodies to cook with.
Fortunately, there are plenty of nutritious meals that can be cooked with a few non-perishables and some common kitchen ingredients.
If you don’t have these items already, make sure to stock up on them when you have the chance, as they’re great to always have on hand for last-minute dinner options.
- canned and dried legumes (lentils; chickpeas; black, pinto beans, and navy beans; split peas)
- canned or jarred tomatoes (whole peeled, diced, and crushed), tomato paste, and marinara sauce
- canned Ocean Wise fish (salmon, tuna, or sardines)
- broth or MSG-free boullion
- rice (brown jasmine is my favourite)
- whole grains (such as barley and quinoa)
- dried whole grain pasta
- onions, garlic, and potatoes (sweet or russet)
- extra-virgin olive oil and good quality vinegar such as apple cider or balsamic
- all-purpose and whole grain flour
- milk alternatives, such as almond milk (often they come sealed and don’t require refrigeration)
In addition, the following ingredients are good to keep in the fridge or freezer:
- butter or butter alternative
- frozen veggies (peas, spinach, carrots, and corn)
- Parmesan cheese
The possibilities are endless
With just these ingredients you can make a variety of tasty and nutritious meals, such as:
- stewed lentils with a poached egg on top
- veggie shepherd’s pie
- Quinoa Black Bean Stew
- spaghetti with marinara sauce and chickpeas
- pasta tossed with peas, salmon, olive oil, lemon, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- lentil soup
- tuna sandwich and tomato soup
- veggie chili
- steamed rice with lentil dal
- hearty vegetable soup
- pasta casserole with frozen veggies, tuna, and onion in a creamy roux and topped with breadcrumbs and Parmesan
- Popover Egg Pies