We wish we could scream it from the rooftops: Get your skin checked! According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), an estimated 9,710 deaths will be attributed to melanoma by the time this year comes to a close, and not only that, melanoma also happens to be the most common cancer for adults between 25 and 29. That’s crazy!
But probably the single most important thing you should know is that the survival rate for folks with melanoma hits 98% if it’s detected and treated early on. In honor of Melanoma Awareness Month, we’re here to tell you to get your butts to a derm, stat.
Here are a few resources worth checking out.
- AAD makes it easy to search for a free skin cancer screening near you.
- Or let the screening bus come to you. Find out if the Skin Cancer Foundation’s Road to Healthy 38-foot tour RV is coming through your town.
- If you’re in the New York City area, nonprofit Mollie’s Fund lists screening locations for the month of May.
- Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL, also operates a screening bus called the Mole Patrol in the state of Florida.
OK, who’s making a skin-check appointment today?
SELF is the magazine that makes living healthy easy and fun. SELF’s motto: Being fit, strong and active means feeling great, being happy and looking your most beautiful. With trademark authority, SELF speaks to women about three key areas of her being: her body, her looks and her life. SELF makes it fun and fulfilling to be your happiest, healthiest, best self. Reaching a total audience of 12 million each month, SELF is the founder of the Pink Ribbon for breast cancer awareness and an ASME National Magazine Award winner for excellence in journalistic achievement in print and digital. SELF is published by Condé Nast, publisher of Vogue, Vanity Fair, Bon Appétit, GQ, Glamour, The New Yorker, Wired and other celebrated media brands. Visit Self.com and follow @SELFmagazine on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Foodily and Google+.
Check out these other great articles from Self.com
- 20 Superfoods For Weight Loss
- 6 Moves To Resize Your Butt and Thighs
- Sneaky Stomach Slimmers